Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Is this a good thing for aspiring writers?

Harper Collins say they are on a mission to flush out the brightest, freshest new writing talent around with their online community. http://www.authonomy.com/
This is the second such site I've come across (there may be more - I don't know). I'm not sure what to make of this. Is it a growing trend, is it good, bad or worse?

I read the FAQs and it seems the more people who read your story, the more chance you have of rising to what they call 'The Editor's Desk.'


Reminds me of a slush pile quote I saw today:

THE SLUSH PILE: Looking for a needle in a field of haystacks, and having to tell each stalk that it's not the needle you're looking for. (Source unknown.)

Anyway, thought you might be interested. Take a look. http://www.authonomy.com/

4 comments:

  1. Jenn,
    Would you use this? It's an interesting concept. But, like you said, isn't it just a form of slush pile that saves the editors from having to read all the unsolicited stuff?

    I only skimmed over the FAQs section.

    But who's bothering to read the work that's posted and leave comments? I could hire all my family and friends to rave about my 10,000 words. Would RH be any the wiser?

    This publishing business does my head in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I like this. As Shayne said, anyone could be commenting. You could even create 100 identities and leave the comments yourself.

    At leat with the traditional slush pile the odds are the same for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a popularity contest, for sure. Not purely based on the quality of the work.

    I actually found the site rather hard to navigate and confusing. Too much stuff on it. I don't think I'll be visiting again in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I'm always a little worried about sites like that, as Mon said It can turn into a popularity contest. I'll go with the ols slush pile I think.

    But thanks for posting about it, it's always good to know what is going on out in the writing world.

    Sandie

    ReplyDelete